We received some wonderful answers, including references to The Wizard of Oz, and The Chronicles of Narnia. It was great for us to read how the deck fired up your imagination and the many different connections that were made.
1) What is the significance of the story being set in a forest?
Trees. Books contain paper, which is made from wood pulp.
2) The start of one fictional passage in a chapter has a shared similarity with a famous children’s book that became a movie: can you tell us which card chapter, and name the book or film?
The start of the fictional passage in 13. Time Flies, is a loving nod to Alice’s’ Adventures in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll, 1865). In the Alice in Wonderland film, (Tim Burton, 2010) the Mad Hatter states, “Alice! You’re terribly late you know. Naughty.”
3) One passage encompasses a similarity with a Greek legend within it: which card, what myth, and how have we included it?
The Greek myth is Pegasus (card 19) to connect with the Muses and the thunderbolts he carried for Zeus. There was also a reference within card 20. The Warlock, as it shows the way Pegasus was captured by Bellerophon, and how the rider was ultimately unseated. (Either answer was acceptable.)
4) The Chronicles of Destiny is a book within a book, within a book, within a book – can you list how that is so?
The Book of Destiny is a card (1) and chapter within the fictional Chronicles of Destiny (the deck – 2), contained within the handbook (3) within the box designed as a book (4)
5) We have placed a significant reference in the book that ties up with an event in one of the chapters of the story; can you tell us which card chapter, what it is, and where to find it?
The reference written for you related to the fictional section in the Mastery card, which referred to the dedication page we made for you at the beginning of the book, which reads, “For You, Dear Seeker” with the illustrated golden key underneath. We hoped this would be your “Aha!” moment when you realised you were living through the journey in the story of the book you had just entered :)
There was also an initial clue leading up to this regarding the bookplate (inside box cover and inside book cover) in the Book of Destiny fictional passage.
6) What is the significance found in the Mastery card, (page 156) can you explain how it applies?
The fictional passage is talking to you the reader, to take forward what you have learnt within your journey and now apply it to helping others. The Chapters are the cards from the Chronicles of Destiny and you now become The Guardian of The Books.
Our winner provided beautifully detailed responses, so we could see she had really thought them through. Here is the answer to the final question in her own words:
"The Mastery card represents the knowledge that was gained from the experience of understanding the Chronicles of Destiny quest. Now that the Seeker has the symbolic key, they in turn, become the new Guardian of the Books. If they choose to use this knowledge to enlighten others to the secrets of their individual destinies, the Seeker is duty-bound to do so ethically and responsibly. Using respect for the process and the individual, along with sensitivity and confidentiality, the Seeker has the ability to assist others in finding solutions and a sense of understanding to the trial, tribulations and complexities of life. By offering new ways to look at situations and problem solving strategies, card readers can give others the needed confidence to change their lives for the better, prepare for rough roads ahead and most importantly, realize that they hold the key to their own destiny."
Well done, Nancy!